Apply Now: Part-time Integrator and Personal Assistant to the CEO
This is a part-time position in a small business reporting to the CEO, starting at 15-20 hours/week with the ability to surge if needed and with notice. As the business grows and recovers from the pandemic, there is potential for more hours as we have the revenue. For this role, you’ll need to live in or near San Antonio, Texas, be willing to work in person at least one day a week, and you’ll have the ability to work remotely the rest of your time. Blue Tree uses meeting space near Canyon Golf and Overlook Parkway.
Typically the required hours are dependent on the meeting schedule with staff. Outside of these, we prefer a consistent schedule for what days/times you plan to work. On occasion there is a need to work an evening or weekend, but typically it’s planned and scheduled with you in advance if it’s significant or it’s a text message you just need to respond to.
The mission of the Integrator and Personal Assistant is to stay five steps ahead of their leader, tracking all of the administrative details, managing the CEO’s plate, and clearing the path for the CEO to make her greatest contribution to the business. The IPA (not as in beer) will be a key asset to the CEO by anticipating needs at an exceptionally high level, allowing her to develop vision and strategy and complete billable work so that we can reach our impact and profitability goals.
While repetitive tasks are certainly part of this position, the tasks assigned can vary from week to week based on the CEO’s needs and the needs of the business. The most important responsibility of the IPA is to ensure that tasks and projects are completed with a high level of efficiency, confidentiality, accuracy, flexibility, and positivity in order to support the strategic plan.
To start, expect more PA work and over time, work towards a 50/50 split between these two roles, knowing it will adapt over time as our needs change. The PA hat will primarily help the CEO plan, focus, set priorities, buffer distractions, and overall reduce cognitive overhead. The Integrator hat will make sure the trains are running smoothly and on time, and in some cases will help build the train tracks. The overall goal is to make sure nothing gets lost or forgotten.
Immediate things you’ll take on
- Required reading (or listening): Your World-Class Assistant, Rocketfuel, and Profit First
- Personal Assistant Side: Help Plan, Prioritize, and Process the CEO’s plate daily and weekly
- Run daily focus/prioritization meetings. Will start as weekday morning daily meetings, and potentially afternoon update meetings depending on how it evolves and what’s going on (mostly remote)
- Set Agenda, run reports for, and lead weekly alignment meetings to update CEO on strategic work, the team, any issues, high-level planning for following week
- Process and file notes, mail, recordings, emails, Asana inbox, etc, and file as appropriate -- scan, type, download, etc., and create tasks that are labeled/categorized, actionable, and assigned a due date and person to complete them.
- Calendar, Travel, and Expense management
- Attend some client meetings with me and take notes, track action items, and process it later.
- Run errands, do research, or random personal tasks on occasion
- Helping refine and adhere to “ideal week” definition
- Generally whatever is needed to meet our goals.
- Integrator Side: Create actionable strategic plans from high-level vision/plan and execute them
- Once a week 1-2hr strategic planning meeting, preferably face to face on Fridays.
- Break down strategic projects into sprint-level granularity of tasks (2 week time period) for the entire team (with their input).
- Prioritize strategic work and ensure all tasks feed into those priorities
Ongoing Things You’ll Be Doing
- Build internal processes/policies/procedures and accountability that support the strategic plan
- CRM tool (Copper.com) Management, Research, and (potentially) Initial connect calls
- Vendor and payment portal list maintenance & some vendor management
- HR functions (potentially)
- Over time get Dropbox organized and cleaned out
- Update functional hierarchy diagram and existing Policies/Procedures
- Create Agendas and facilitate monthly all-team meetings
- Interface with individual staff on regular basis (weekly/biweekly)
- Create deliverable documents and templates
- Create communications templates
Schedule & Availability
- Consistent work schedule / availability. Up to you to set this, just needs to be consistent.
- Some weekend availability on occasion if schedules don’t align during the week.
- Face to face at least once a week; remote meetings via Zoom
- An agreed upon texting availability during off days/hours. Expected range of responses: Already on it; Answer to question; I can’t right now but I’ve added it to the agenda for tomorrow; or, I happen to be available and can text/call and go through it if you want.
You Know You’re Winning When
- Melanie can delegate work and not have to remember to check in because you’re updating it in Asana and things are getting done ontime, done well, and progress is tangible.
- Task manager is organized, and easy access to “what’s on my hot list, what’s on my coming soon list, what is she working on, what’s the status on X, etc”
- Everyone on the team is operating well, knows what to work on, is working on the right things, is hitting deadlines, and is gaining momentum of getting things done.
- Forward movement is measurable, tangible, and in alignment with the strategic plan.
Affinity for Technology: Our IPA will be a technologically savvy Mac user (your only option if we supply the laptop) or Windows user and will not be intimidated by learning new technology. Proficiency in the following tech platforms is ideal: 1Password, Dropbox, Chrome, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Asana, Hellosign/PandaDoc, Tableau, Copper, and Zoom.
Quality Communication: The IPA must be an excellent communicator, in both written and oral form. This includes proficiency in spelling, grammar, and punctuation. This also includes being able to take a large amount of information and aggregate/synthesize/summarize it quickly both in writing and orally on a regular basis. You must be able to track communication (and be very responsive) across multiple channels without losing any details. You must be able to communicate well with internal staff and our clients. Communication channels could include in-person meetings, virtual video calls, @’s in documents, text messages, Asana comments, CRM tools, and/or emails.
Anticipating Needs: As part of our commitment to enabling our CEO to serve our company and clients at the top of her game, our IPA will strive to anticipate needs and eliminate friction at work and home whenever possible. This means you know how to stay five steps ahead of your leader, clearing the path for her to make her greatest contribution.
- Take the Rocketfuel Crystalizer Assessment (~10 minutes)
- Combine the following information in a concise, easy to digest file or provide a link to the following content:
- Pertinent Resume / CV information and/or Links to any website / online portfolio / social media that you’d like to share
- What experiences have you had that make you excited to apply for this particular job with Blue Tree?
- Submit all materials here.
- The submission form asks the following questions:
- Email address
- Preferred Phone
- Visionary Score
- Integrator Score
- If hired, when could you start?
- How did you hear about this opening? Do we have mutual connections?
- Attachments or Links for the content listed in item 2 above.
From here, our process is:
- Review submitted applications
- Trial project (expect 1-2 hours)
- Make Decision -- hopefully by end of May 2021.
If you have any questions, or if you haven’t heard back that we received your application within 48 hours, please reach out anytime to email@example.com.